Abraham Lincoln never gave up. He could have quit many times – but he didn’t and because he didn’t quit, he became one of the greatest presidents in the United States history. This Abraham Lincoln Story will inspire you in many ways.
Abraham Lincoln Story:
Born into poverty, Lincoln was faced with defeat throughout his life. He lost eight elections, twice failed in business and suffered a nervous breakdown.
Here is a sketch of Lincoln’s road to the White House:
- 1816 His family was forced out of their home and he had to work to support them.
- 1818 His mother died.
- 1831 Failed in business.
- 1832 Ran for state legislature and lost.
- 1832 Also lost his job – wanted to go to law school but couldn’t get in.
- 1833 Borrowed some money from a friend to begin a business and by the end of the year he was bankrupt. He spent the next 17 years of his life paying off this debt.
- 1834 Ran for state legislature again and won.
- 1835 Was engaged to be married, sweetheart died and his heart was broken.
- 1836 Had a total nervous breakdown and was in bed for six months.
- 1838 Sought to become speaker of the state legislature – defeated.
- 1840 Sought to become elector – defeated.
- 1843 Ran for Congress and lost.
- 1846 Ran for Congress again –and this time he won – went to Washington and did a good job.
- 1848 Ran for re-election to Congress and lost.
- 1849 Sought the job of land officer in his home state – rejected.
- 1854 Ran for Senate of the United States and lost.
- 1856 Sought the Vice-Presidential nomination at his party’s national convention – got less than 100 votes.
- 1858 Ran for U.S. Senate again – again he lost.
- 1860 At last, Elected president of the United States.
“Never give up. Today is hard, tomorrow will be worse, but the day after tomorrow will be sunshine.”